Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Covid 19 Lockdown Series - Singapore

Thought of getting the views of kids...the ones most affected by the pandemic lock down and also the ones who are most flexible in adjusting to these unknown times.

 

Ashmit from Singapore writes in about how this virus affected everything around him. He is 13, reads at Delhi Public International School. He gives us a very sanguine account.



10 th April, Friday
It’s been one week since the circuit breaker was announced and I haven’t had much hope. When I first learned about the circuit breaker, I didn’t know what to do. I saw many people at the store today wearing masks and most of them were hoarding supplies since there was a widespread rumor that the virus could last for a year. My father stocked up as much as possible still under the tension that his stocks wouldn’t be enough.

19 th April, Sunday
Life has come to a standstill. The deserted streets and the desolated malls and shops make you feel uneasy especially if you place yourself in the shoes of a teenager. Today I got an email from my school stating that we would be starting home based learning soon and I felt very relieved. People usually would go out to play if they feel bored. But now, if you have a group of more than 5 people following the principle of social distancing, even then people will stare at you as if you have committed a cold-blooded murder.

1 st May, Friday
The numbers are rapidly increasing and exceeding the amount people expected to be at its maximum. People are worried and there are a lot of infuriating comments posted on social media. Cars and pedestrians are dwindling and the city has come to a halt all of a sudden. However, the Singapore government has handled the situation efficiently.Today we had our very first zoom session and I must say that is was a relief to see all my classmates and teachers.

9 th May, Saturday
The doctors are doing their very best in treating other patients infected with the virus. In doing this, they are risking their lives to save others. I would like to thank each and every frontline worker out there who is doing his or her part with the sole aim of serving humanity. I’m very sanguine that we will be able to
overcome this pandemic by following precautionary measures starting from staying home and going out if necessary, on a weekly basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment